Monday, August 20, 2012

Why do we only see the tip of an iceberg?

Water is unique in that it is less dense as a solid than a liquid. Ice has a density of 0.9167 g/cm^3 while water has a density of 1.0 g/cm^3. Since ice is only about 10% less dense than water, only 10% of an iceberg appears to be floating while the other 90% is submerged. In order for the ice's buoyancy to balance with the amount of water displaced, only 10% of the iceberg remains above water.

No comments:

Post a Comment